Home, Condo and Renter’s Policy Tips
Getting the most from your policy
The Right Coverage
Ask a Brightway Insurance Professional about:
- Policy exclusions (What has limited coverage, and what is not covered at all?)
- Any endorsements you should consider (for example, replacement cost
coverage on your possessions)
- Available discounts
Understanding Your Policy Limits
Be sure to check your policy limits to be sure you have enough coverage to protect all of your personal property. You can do this by:
- Preparing an itemized list of all the items in your home, including furniture, clothing and electronics and other equipment. Think about all the things you own and how much it would cost to replace them.
- Ask your Brightway Insurance agent for a copy of our free Household Inventory Booklet.
There are things that you can do every day in order to prevent a loss from occurring in the first place. While there is no guarantee that you will never experience a loss, it's always a good idea to:
- Remember to lock your doors and windows when leaving.
- Don't invite crime by leaving expensive items in direct view of open windows.
- Use timers on lights and radios to give your home that 'lived-in' look when you're away.
Recording Your Belongings
A great way to document all of your belongings is to keep a photographic or video record. But remember—you should always keep paper records like receipts as well.
- In the event of a claim, a video or photographic record will help you recall all
your possessions. It will help serve as proof that you had all these items in
your home at the time of the loss.
- Be sure to keep the video or pictures off premises (preferably in a safety